Julia's Kitchen

Julia's Kitchen

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Winter Blues

You guys, it's cold. Like... beyond cold. Some people prefer to look at the world positively and see this kind of winter as a way to eat comfort foods (which is right up my alley), wear comfortable sweaters, and stay in to enjoy reading a book (or in my case, binge-watch tv), I do not. I shut down.

Shut. It. Down.

Hence the lack of blog posting recently. Have I mentioned that 25 minutes of my 40 minute commute is walking outside? No? Have I mentioned that my job does not allow me to be absent when the rest of the world shuts down due to a polar vortex? No? Have I mentioned that I love my job? No? Ok.

My life has basically been a game of survival lately. Wearing three pairs of pants, two pairs of gloves, and almost crying myself to sleep because my new heated mattress pad (trumpets!!!!) thaws me out every night. So, after walking home through cold, wind, snow, and slush, who wants to cook? Last night I cancelled gym plans AND proceeded to eat a whole pizza while I watched American Idol and Nashville. I told Pat to put the M&Ms on the dining room table so it would force me to get off the couch so I could fold the laundry. That he had put right in front of me. Woof.

Last Friday, I came home in the cold AND had a fantastic gym session AND did not eat take out. It's about the little victories, and this one should be celebrated. I ended up making tomato/mozzarella paninis (which we probably do about once a week), but I upgraded that shizz this time, and it was delicious. This sandwich is totally good for you and super easy to make; even when you are about to shut down. In fact, I would say this sandwich is exactly what should be consumed after a long, cold day or week.

I have a real obsession with salads. I love salads. I love finding new combos. I also love figuring out ways to add greens to anything and make it delicious. I found the most amazing product at Whole Foods last week, and had to share:


TA DA!!!!!!!
Power Greens! I decided to not buy my weekly tub of mixed greens, and decided on POWER greens. This eats just like mixed greens, except you get the way-better-for-you kale, swiss chard, and spinach. We ate it as a salad for a few nights, dressed in a lovely mustard vinaigrette (Salad dressings will come later. I believe bottled dressings are a Ponzi scheme and refuse to use them. I am a securities attorney and I can make that statement). But this week, I decided to add them to our tomato mozz paninis. Lordy, it was good! I sauteed the greens with some garlic and balsamic vinegar to save the step of seasoning the bread. The greens with the melty cheese was amazing! Of course, you can leave any part of the sandwich you don't like behind. The cheese with the greens would be a revelation on its own. You could also saute strips of eggplant in the balsamic and add. The world is your oyster.

Tomato Mozzarella Paninis with Balsamic Greens (makes two sandwiches)

Four slices of country bread or sourdough bread
Three tomatoes, sliced
4 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced into discs

1 T Olive Oil
2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
3 handfuls of POWER GREENS (or as much as you want-- remember greens cook down a lot!!)
1 T balsamic vinegar

Preheat panini press or skillet. Let sliced tomatoes sit for a few minutes with salt on them. This will allow some of the moisture to be extracted, and you won't end up with soggy bread. Place tomatoes and mozzarella on bread. Season with pepper.

Heat olive oil in another skillet on medium, add garlic, let cook for 30 seconds to a minute (until fragrant, but not burned). Toss greens into skillet and allow to wilt for 1-2 minutes. Pour balsamic over the greens, give a good stir. Remove from heat. Place warm greens over mozzarella cheese on bread. Top with unused slices of bread. Spray outside pieces of bread with cooking spray. Place on panini press or skillet. Allow to cook until heated through and melted. You want the bread crisp and toasty, and the ingredients hot. If using a skillet, flip halfway through cooking time. 

Remove sandwich from grill. Let sit for 1-2 minutes. Slice in half and serve!

I hope this sandwich makes you feel good on a cold winter's night. It really lifted our spirits!



1 comment:

  1. My heated mattress pad has traveled with me to many places, but none so welcome as this old farmhouse that didn't have heat upstairs when I moved here. It, and four dogs, kept me going through those cold winter nights. Glad you have one (and Pat, of course) for the polar vortex!

    ReplyDelete